Dr. Umar Saif, the Chairman and Founder Vice Chancellor of Punjab Information and Technology Board (PITB) and the Mayor of Austin, Mr. Steve Adler signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The Memorandum featured the establishment of Lahore and Austin as the science cities.
During an official visit to USA Dr. Saif met with the US officials and the representatives from different institutions and specially the Mayor of Austin. During their meeting Dr. Saif introduces them to the successful programs PITB has been able to establish over the years like E-rozgaar, Wi-Fi Hotspots, E-Learn, Digital Inclusion and Smart transport solution.
For MoU Dr. Saif had to say,
“Under the MoU it is agreed to co-operate in the initiatives like organizing bi-lateral trade, economic development, and exchange missions to each city. Promotion of capital exchange and investment, development of joint educational programs and exchange opportunities between Austin universities and ITU will enable both sides to prepare students for the future.”
According to Dr. Saif some salient features of the MoU were:
1) Development of business-focused cultural exchange projects between the creative industry sub-sectors of both cities.
2) Broker international relationships between individuals and organizations.
3) Special attention on fields like innovative high-technology, advanced manufacturing, creative industries, professional services.
4) Any other sector that can bring economic development.
5) Linkage of the financial and investment sectors in an effort to promote foreign direct investment in both communities,
6) Expansion of workforce development and education opportunities for the next generation of employees in the high-technology.
7) Promotion of creative industry.
8) Launch programs specially designed for students of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM).
The MoU will bring benefits to all and with this hope that Lahore and Austin Science Cities would help in greater development of country, the MoU was signed.
Dr. Saif also invited the mayor of Austin to visit Pakistan.